10/11/2017

05. Anti-corruption purge in Saudi Arabia


Recently I’ve had an opportunity to analyze the current situation in the Middle East focusing on Saudi Arabia. I’ve prepared a short presentation for my French classes about the anti-corruption mass arrests carried by Mohammad bin Salman who’s a significant figure in Saudi politics (the crown prince, the youngest minister of defense in the world…). He ordered his anti-corruption commission to put more than 40 dignified Saudians into prison (one of them was Al-Waleed bin Talal, the richest person in Saudi Arabia) the same day this commission was created, more precisely on Saturday 4th November.
The prince, also called MBS, wants to reform his future kingdom into a modern, open and tolerant country and change its religion into a moderate Islam. He’s planning to build a futuristic city of Neom. He even signed an edict permitting Saudi women to drive a car.  Sure, it’s not a great change for the women living in the very conservative part of the world, but it seems like a step in the right direction. Trump and his government support him, just by the way. However, isn’t it a convenience for our ambitious prince? Now, when probably the whole political opposition is under arrest, the way to an autocratic power is clear. A vivid resistance of prince’s political views is swept away. Is fighting against corruption his true intention? How long will these unfortunate prisoners (kept in the luxury hotel Riatz-Carlton in Riyadh, big personages after all) stay put? We need to wait patiently. 

2 comments:

  1. Saudi politics is quite a complex issue! Did you suggest the topic yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Saudi politics is really complex. What's more, it is strongly connected with other countries in the region and any changes within Saudi Arabia could affect the rest of the world in the long run. I find the topic interesting and important because of that. When I found out about it through the media I had to pick it. Anyway, thank you for your comment.

      Delete