06/11/2017

04. What does the term 'k-pop' mean?


Have you ever heard about k-pop? Have you listened to it yet? Maybe someone has mentioned it, but you have no idea what all the fuss is about. If so, I'll explain to you what this "k-pop" really mean.
I wondered it myself. First, I searched information to find out what the 'k' part represents. Then I had to ask myself what is so special about this pop culture that so many people go crazy about it. The first answer is: Korean. K-pop is simply everything you can hear on the South Korean mainstream radio, which is a mixture of funk, R&B, soul, indie-pop, electronic music and pop-rock. In other words, it's everything a general public would like to hear. As regards music videos, it's everyting people would like to see. Popular music, indeed. Why does k-pop is so successful in the western world even though its lyrics is mainly in Korean? It's catchy. K-pop groups consist of very talented young people called 'idols'. They specialize in singing, dancing, rapping and usually they look extremely well (South Korea is world's first country in terms of the percentage of people undergoing plastic surgery). Behind the scenes, there is a professional staff responsible for creating music, preparing choreographies and making music videos. Everything is well thought through. Everybody is perfectly prepared. What about lyrics? One can simply look for its translation in the Google... or switch it on in youtube video options. However, you shoudn't expect anything revolutionary. So finally, what's so special about this genre? It depends. I'd say it's an effort put into a great performance. Even if k-pop might seem artificial to the core (in my opinion at least), the talent is real. There is no place in Korean entertainment industry for people who dispise hard work. This is probably the most important key to its success.



No comments:

Post a Comment