26/10/2015
11. When two languages are similar to each other
In other words - studying French and English (at the same time) nightmare.
When I started studying French I was already after some years of studying English. The second one is the language I know better. The three years of philology concerning francophone countries, their language and cultures didn't change anything. However, during first years of studying at the university I noticed one thing - studying French and English at the same time may be quite helpful, but also extremely annoying. Why? There are some funny obstacles that I had to deal with at the beginning of my studies. Or - that are still current nowadays.
1. Pronunciation differences when words are written the same or similar way
It was hard in a way during the first year of studying French. I tried to pronounce some words in this language very fast and the result of it was Frenglish, or sometimes English. For example English passion and French passion. They seem the same? They are, but only while writing. Another exemple, adjective sure and its French equivalent sûr (or sûre in the female form).
2. Writing differences when words have the same meaning
This is still very annoying. Starting with sure and sûr(e), there are so many other exemples... Exemples? That's right. Now I know the difference but couple of years ago there wasn't any letter, essey ect. where I didn't make this mistake. English example is French exemple, English appearance = French apparence, English object = French objet, ect. ect.
3. Silent "H"
At the beginning the h letter was pronunced almost everywhere during French classes. Now this is the opposite, I started to skip it while reading or speaking English. Sometimes it's quite funny.
4. Plural noun with its adjective
One of the differences between French and English grammar is that adjectives in French have to agree with the noun in number and person. For example de grandes villes (big cities), here you have adjective grand that is changed from its usual masculine form to female plural form by adding -es. What's the problem? When I got used to this rule I started to add some strange endings to English words.
5. The problem called 'So or alors?'
It means all the times at the beginning of my academical adventure when trying to express so in French (alors) the English so was coming out automatically and my whole speech sounded funny in the blink of an eye.
As you can see, learning foreign languages is fun. There are some other obstacles, however I stop here. Even if I've had a hard time while studying, English and French are both beautiful languages. I've never regretted that I chose them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you, this is very useful to me! I'm sure that your problems are less and less serious as your studies continue, but I understand it must have been hard at the beginning.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! :)
Delete